Weird Frontweights

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 22:18:01 -0500

> Thus, DW as an action
>resistance measurement (DW) is not very useful in showing were our
>work lies, as neither it nor its companion UW are the slightest bit
>interested in revealing whether we have a friction or a mass problem.

Not mass, surely, but they are exactly how friction is indicated, aren't they?

>I switched to Balance Weight many years ago and have not looked back.
>Admittedly, BW is based on the assumption that a lever train with 0.0
>friction would have identical DW and UW, and that as friction occurs,
>it can be assumed to push the DW and UW in opposite directions by
>equal amounts. Not a bad one on the face of it. But an assumption for
>which there may be no proof, especially since DW, UW and the
>derivative BW are static measurements.

So how do you determine friction if not with static UW/DW comparisons?
Forgive me if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but I'm a little
out of touch here under my (hot, cold, or wet) rock in South Central Kansas.

>Still, I haven't looked back. I see action resistance troubleshooting
>as a series of forks. Is it a friction or a mass problem? If it's a
>mass problem, is it because of extra mass at the hammer end of the
>lever train, or at the key end, or is it a leverage problem which is
>aggressively amplifying the current hammer weight. It sure fits in my
>toolbox better than a system of dynamic measurements and analysis,
>although I have great admiration for Stephen Birkett's ability to
>build such a system.
>
>Bill Ballard RPT

Ok, so how do you differentiate between a friction and a mass problem?

Ron N