Speed Tests

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 23:11:18 -0600

At 02:35 PM 10/6/01 -0300, John Ross wrote:

>Hi Don,
>Thank you, for the sites.

Indeed... quite fascinating. I have a DSL line and it's "OK". My friend's
cable internet, which costs the same, is MUCH quicker.

>I am still plodding along. as far as becoming more
>computer literate. It is my own fault though, as I
>don't put any time into it. Although I don't seem to
>be needing to reformat as much, by the machine
>freezing up on me.

Although some may have different experiences, if you're running Win 95 you
*must* have 64 megs of RAM and with Win 98 SE or higher a minimum of 128 is
required if you're going to be using the computer for anything serious.
Both are much happier if you double that. When I went from 64 to 128 megs
my reboots went from several times a day to once every couple of days and I
even got a week out of it once.

I run a memory manager as well that seems to help with having to reboot all
the time. It's called MemTurbo II (http://www.memturbo.com). I'm a bit gun
shy about memory managers, but this one seems to actually work.

Try increasing your RAM first though, as even a memory manager won't help
if it takes more RAM to boot the machine than is available. Good luck!

                         John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html