Weird Frontweights

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Tue, 09 Oct 2001 13:00:45 +0200

The piano has assist springs in the bass notes only... a total of 22. The job is
finished actaully.. I just posted suprise over how totally uneven the
frontweights had origionally been.

As far as the bass with assist springs... I chose the easy way out actaully... I
simply weighted the FW's to Stanwoods max weights guideline figures minus 10
grams. In other words I chose to let the assist springs do 10 grams of work
each. Which is about a third of what they had been origionally doing.

Balance weight on this action is now pretty even at  40 grams.

David Love wrote:

> Richard:
>
> Doesn't this piano have assist springs?  If so then you need to do the weigh
> off with them disconnected anticipating that you will further reduce the
> balance weight by whatever factor you choose (10-15 grams) when you reattach
> them.  You will, of course, have to set the tension.  It is hard to imagine
> a 15 gram variance in the front weight from note to note if you have used
> the balance weight system for doing a weigh-off.

As said... the front weight problem origionated at the factory.

> It is possible that the KR is
> different between the sharps and naturals, I have seen that many times and
> that will account for differences.

Yes I have seen that too...but that was not the case here. Actually that was one
of the only real consistants in this whole action. All 88 keys were at
0.52.....well ok... a few were at a weak 0.53.

> David Love
>
> -

Cheers

--