Silicone

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:17:07 -0500

Terry,

    I use the hair dryer to chase the excessive moisture out of the bushings
before applying the naptha/silicone.  I want the level of dryness to be
reduced enough to free the centers, (usually hammer shank flanges)  before
trusting the lubricant.  The job of the silicone is to keep the moisture
out, and as a bonus, it functions as a release agent, or lubricant.
     Although silicone 'displaces moisture' without the use of heat,  I
would not want to treat tight centers, which are showing signs of high
humidity, with a lubricant, while there is high level of H2O still in the
bushings, slowing down the flange. I want to know the bushings are free from
what is hanging them up, before applying the juice.
     Heating the parts before applying the lube, has the added benifit of
encouraging the solution to get into the cloth. Just for clairification, I
use heat/naptha/silicone on action centers that show sighs of excessive
moisture. These are usally verticals. The hammer shank flanges are usually
the culprits.
   I am not trying to shrink the cloth, or size the cloth/pin relationship
with the heat.
Dan