Piano Fiasco

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:35:20 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Tuned for a new client this evening. They just bought their first piano a
> couple months ago. First tuning. The lady asked me what I thought the piano
> was worth. 1985 Yamaha C3. Very good condition. Sounds real nice. Real
> clean. I told her you could figure somewhere around a 25% loss in value
> every five or ten years. A C3 now costs about $20,000. So figure hers might
> be worth somewhere between $10,000 to $13,000 at a dealer, and perhaps
> $8,000 to $11,000 in a private sale.
>
> She looked at me in horror and told me that she had just paid $19,000 for
> the piano. She bought it at a dealer blowout - 50% off -
> going-out-of-business sale.

Rolf... thats what you get for getting involved... must have been an...enjoyable
moment right then and there....

as for the rest of your post... sounds really like the salesperson has crossed
the border... (if just) into fraud. He says origional price was 38,000... when
in 1985 such pianos were waaaaaaayyyy below that price. Seems to me that the
lady actually has a reasonable case to make.

I would also not hesitate to forward in writting as many of the particulars of
this sale to Yamaha. Including every relavant peice of information about the
dealer. You dont have to take any particular position... just inform them about
the event. They might just be interested to know.

Lastly... gotta just shake my head once again.... this is  what happens when a
society so to theeee degree buys into the "buyer beware" free market mentality.
I am afraid its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Flame suit on...
tho remember I am gone until Sunday... so save your gas bombs until then... grin

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.