Piano Fiasco

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:56:43 EDT

<<> So, tell me, does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Is
> there any recourse this woman might have? I know that when two parties agree
> on a price for an item, that's it - it's a deal. But I suspect one could
> argue a pretty clear case of fraud here. This is not stretching things a
> bit, this is total misrepresentation, lying, etc. Any thoughts?>>

    Well, if you think this is fraud and say so to the customer, and they go
back to the dealer with this charge, the dealer may decide that you are
damaging to his business, then you just might need a lawyer to defend
yourself in court.  I would suspect that would cost you a minimum of $10,000,
even if you are found innocent.  So, is it worth it?
     If you are truly outraged, don't create a liability for yourself by
describing the dealer as unscrupulous to the customer.  Go to the dealer and
look him in the eye and tell him that you consider him a cheat and that you
will never recommend him to anybody.  If he decides to assuage you and the
customer by refunding them some of this outrageous price, you will look like
a real prince to the customer, and the dealer will have to regard you as more
than just another tuner.  If the dealer doesn't, then at least everybody will
know where you stand.
   I have a guitar that is worth four times what a new one just like is
worth.  In a court of law, that piano might easily be shown to be "worth"
what it was sold for.
I suggest you be careful.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT