Piano Fiasco

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:08:05 EDT

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> My estimate for new value today does indeed appear low, but I made it clear
> to her I was not real sure of that and I would check (hence, my post). I
> don't really think this makes me "the one guilty of bad business
> practices", not by a long shot.
>
> "If she volunteered the amount she paid and you thought it may be
> excessive, avoiding the issue with remarks about how nice of a piano it is
> would have been a much better thing to say."
>
> If you had read my original post and understood it, you would know that she
> specifically asked me what my opinion of its current worth would be. And I
> answered her with my best effort. Answering with "it's a nice piano" would
> be unprofessional, IMHO.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry

There is a big difference between telling a customer "it's a nice piano," and
telling her she paid way too much for the piano. There is a middle ground. I
wouldn't go as far as what Bill said, but I do think some thing like, "you
might have paid a little too much, but the piano is in good shape",  would
have been more appropriate.

As one other tech said, ( think it was Keith), you might have put yourself in
a position of a possible law suit. Not that I think the dealer will do it,
but the more negative things you say about a dealer, the more ammunition they
will have to pursue one, if they decide it is in their best interest to do
so. And if they don't use Guild members in their own store, they might also
take a more negative attitude towards all members of the PTG,

Terry, this list is here to help you. When you ask for advice, and the advice
most of the members of this list is not what you like to hear, perhaps you
should heed that advice, instead of arguing with us. Perhaps you need to
reevaluate your attitude or opinions. But don't tell us our advice is
unprofessional.

Wim