Planer and keytops

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:30:52 EDT

In a message dated 11/10/01 9:42:01 PM, McNameex@AOL.COM writes:

<< Has anyone used an electric planer for dealing with removing the top layer
of
keytops when replacing ivories with plastic?  Every reference I've found
suggests using a router instead.  Just curious.

Todd since planers work best when go 'with the grain'....... and piano keys
have all different directions of grain in them....... a large percentage will
be 'against the grain' and tear out will happen too often to make this a
viable method.........but that's just my thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)