Trivia

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:46:46 -0700

Farrell wrote:

> I have not serviced a sostenuto on an upright, and being that I don't play,
> I don't have any experience from the pianist standpoint. So my question: Why
> is a sostenuto on an upright a bad/dumb thing?

Terry,

Maybe the point was that sostenuto on many verticals is less than well
thought out. I had an 1881 S & S vertical whose sos system was pretty
clunky - it worked but you had to be pretty deliberate about using it.

For a while, I had a Yamaha U3MS and I recall that the sostenuto worked
pretty well, considering its rudimentary design.

My vote for bad piano design would be Steinway grand sostenuto rods
mounted on the _action_.

Tom Cole