Speaking of hammers...

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:04:07 -0400

Hey Brian. Obviously I am not an expert, but I have heard what many experts
say about this. The 12 lbs., 14 lbs., and 16 lbs. specifications reflect
weights of large sheets of hammer felt, and have little to do with guiding a
tech to proper hammer weight selection. I would suppose that if you were
using brand X 14 lb. hammers, and wanted a bit heavier one, that brand X 16
lb. would likely be that heavier hammer. But I'm quite sure that is about as
far as you can go with those numbers.

I have dealt with Wally Brooks for the few sets of hammers I have ordered. I
take a few old ones off and weigh them. Then I call Wally and talk to him
about hammer selection. He will tell me how much his various hammers weigh
compared to my originals. That way you are dealing with very definitive
terms. Perhaps other suppliers might be as helpful - maybe not. That kind of
info, and then incorporating ideas from Stanwood's hammer weight curves, I
think will help with the decision making. See where your original hammer
weights fall on the curves, figure out where you want to go with hammer
weight, and then talk to your supplier about hard facts regarding individual
hammer weights from their sets. I figure if they can't tell you how much a
couple hammers weigh from each section, you can find a supplier that can
supply that info.

Hope some of that helps.

Terry Farrell