Tuning forks

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:55:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul <tunenbww@clear.lakes.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: Tuning forks

| Richard
| I'm always amazed how the numbers can show what we cannot hear.

If the numbers can show what we cannot hear, how do we know what the
numbers are showing? (through what sense?)

For me the numbers showed how it was possible to listen for things that had
not been heard before.  For instance,  when do you think it was realized
that the thirds and tenths should be equal?  Or the beat rate of 3rds
should double through the octaves?
  ---ric