Verdigris V.2

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 08:17:13 -0500

Phil,

<<..there was some sluggishness towards the middle of the stack, but not
like the sluggishness that was on either end. ... does it normally start at
either end, or doesn't it make a difference?>>

I always assumed it showed up first at the high treble because of the lower
weight of the hammers in that section. Don't know if that's right, but that
was my assumption. I've seen it in all sections, though.

<<Is that something [piano maintenance] that is taught here?..>>

Talked a few weeks ago to a young minister of music who had just finished
seminary. He took a required piano maintenance class in which he had to tune
a little bit--mainly unisons, but he mentioned tuning a "10:2 partial, or
something like that." I figured he didn't learn much about tuning, but that
was why he called me :-) It would be great if more pianists and church music
directors knew the basics of their instruments.

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com