Piano Fiasco/univ sales digress (beware of long lecture)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 18:29:06 -0400

".......and the piano inventory was no different than the dealer's showroom
floor."

I can only speak for the local University sale I have experienced, but the
answer to the above is because the pianos you saw at the sale WERE the same
pianos that were on the dealer's showroom floor the week before the sale
(the local S&S dealer). I saw no pianos from the university at the sale (I
presume there were one or two shoved off in the corner somewhere). The same
beat-up Kawai studios were in the same practice rooms after the sale. The
same moldy Steinway grands were in the same other rooms after the sale. The
only thing I noticed that was "university" about this sale was that it was
held at the university.

"We piano technicians hear from college piano sale customers who leave these
events feeling duped."

The university sale I went to was the year before I had ever seen the inside
of a piano. I bought a piano at that sale. I got DUPED. Big time. That may
go a long way in explaining why I might be a bit sensitive to a client that
appears to have been duped by a piano salesperson.

I can smell the smoke coming from my ears again, so I will go away now.

Terry Farrell