Tuning with Key

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:52:08 +0200

A question=20

I noticed I tune with the the key on big grands (maybe pianos too).I =
turn the pin some and then I beat the key to hear were the string moves=20
Like if I raise the pitch, I turn the pin close to were I want the pitch =
and then I beat the key to see if the string raise to where I want it.
The opposite it if I want the pitch down.=20

If I turn the pin intune then I beat the key to see if it moves out.=20
If I'm very close I give the pin some pressure with out moving the pin, =
then I give the key a hard blow to move the string and pin intune.

I end with a hard blow to see if I can "get it out of tune"(like Bill B. =
told me).=20

It's like I tune with the Key!=20
I prepare it with the hammer and pin.
I found instruments with bad regulation hard to tune.

Do anybody have a comment on this? Am I on the right track or totally =
gone?

Thanks!

Ola Andersson
Bergen Norway