keytops (Question)

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:40:48 -0200

Hi, Richard;

For ivory, I use two travel irons. These have low profiles, and
removable handles, don't get very hot. Their bases aren't quite long
enough for two full keytops, I drilled and tapped holes and attached
aluminum plates.

For now, I clamp the handles into Bessey vise clamps set on a wire shelf
over the sink. Put a pair of keys upside down on a damp cloth over the
iron, held in place by a weight with a spray applicator on hand. When
glue's loosened by heat and steam, gently wedge a break-off utility
knife blade between wood and ivory. With a piece of thin hardwood
between it and the key, the body of the knife can work like a lever.
Usually when one pair of keys are finished and the iron reloaded, the
second pair is ready to go.

At some point this'll become a more stationary device with misting
nozzles fed by the faucet, toggle clamps replacing the weights
(sometimes which fall off).

This seems to work alright for odd thin plastics that sneak in, though
easily noticed from the smell (irons aren't hot enough to burn, though).

I keep salvage ivory indexed by pair, note and set, coded for color
figure, size and condition, wouldn't dream of tossing or grinding even
broken stuff.

Are taller sharps available?

Clark