Speaking of hammers...

Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:41:01 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: DALE ERWIN=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: October 13, 2001 12:11 PM
  Subject: Re: Speaking of hammers...

  Hi Brian

     The brief answer to your question is that hammer makers get their =
bulk sheets of felt from the felt maker and generally each sheet will =
generally yield 11 or 12 sets of hammers when it is sliced up into =
strips. The weight part comes in as to the overall weight of those large =
sheets. So, one of those sheets may weigh 12 ,14.15,16,18lbs. The =
important part for you means the higher the stated weight the denser =
thus heavier the felt.=20
-----

  Not necessarily. One part of redesigning the Baldwin 743/5 scale (the =
Hamilton) included a change from a 9# hammer to a 12# hammer. Shortly =
after the new design was introduced a competitor also began advertising =
a 12# hammer though to me they didn't look much different than the =
original. I later found the competitor has simply increased the size of =
the sheet of felt they started with and cut a couple of extra sets of =
hammers from it. The actual hammer was unchanged but the brochure =
specification was changed to confuse the innocent.

  The specification 12#, 14#, 16#, or whatever is meaningless.

  Del