Speaking of hammers...

Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:49:02 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: DALE ERWIN=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: October 15, 2001 8:17 PM
  Subject: Re: Speaking of hammers...

  Del

     Point well taken. What I do know is that at least with my =
particular hammer supplier a 14lb. weight felt on mahog. molding is =
lighter than the 16 lb. version which indicates a denser felt. Yeah I =
know the wood weight can vary but I've done this a few times and know =
what to expect. Know thy hammer supplier.
    Maybe suppliers should refer to there hammers as light medium and =
heavy ,at least there would be less confusion....naaaaaaahh
-----

As you say, you know what to expect and it helps to know your supplier. =
Still, the obsolete sizing methods prevail. The current 14# and 16# =
designations are meaningless and most everybody in the industry knows =
it. Yet they continue to use them.=20

Even your suggestion of light, medium and heavy--while possibly an =
improvement --still leaves much to be desired. What are the standards? =
Light compared to what? Heavy compared to what? Are we going to measure =
each hammer in the set and come up with curve per Stanwood's chart? I =
can't see any manufacturer ever doing that. Or are we going weigh the =
whole set? And then, is this the set of 88? Or the set with a few spares =
tossed in? Even that is not currently standardized.=20

As a start perhaps the manufacturer could weigh just those hammers he =
intends to be #1, #30, #60 and #88 and correlate those into Stanwood's =
curves. If the manufacturing tolerances are reasonable random samples =
might well be sufficient. At this point, I'd be really happy with just =
that. Though we'd still be some distance from ideal at least it would be =
one small step in the right direction.=20

And then, to be meaningful there must also be some indication of =
resilience. With a resilience standard at least you'd know if you were =
ordering light rocks or heavy marshmallows.

Del