Steinway hammer alignment

Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:43:25 -0400

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:19:47 -0400 Jon Page <jonpage2001@mediaone.net>
writes:
If I'm reading you correctly, the hammers are too far to the left and can
not be moved to the right
because the rail does not permit realignment.

YES, THAT IS CORRECT.

Various approaches to consider:
Remove all shanks and install fine emery cloth on the rail for gripping
power
(thin double sided tape underneath for security)  (It sound like they
need to move more than this will accomplish)

THIS MIGHT POSSIBLY GIVE ENOUGH PLAY, AND I WAS CONSIDERING A VERY THIN
STRIP OF FELT, BUT EMERYCLOTH SOUNDS LIKE A BETTER IDEA.

Move the stack over on the keyframe, left or right, back or forward. (How
well do the wippens line up with the capstans?)

THE WIPPENS LINE UP WELL WITH THE CAPSTANS.

Are the shanks too short or too long for the action position/strike
point?

I DON'T BELIEVE SO.

If the dampers align with the key end felt, are the underlevers in the
correct location?

YES.

AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, EVERYTHING IS ALIGNED PERFECTLY, THE ONLY EXCEPTION
BEING THE HAMMERS.

ONE OTHER POSSIBLE REMEDY I THOUGHT OF WAS TO VERY SLIGHTLY ENLARGE THE
FLANGE SCREW HOLE TO THE LEFT SIDE, ALLOWING FOR SLIGHTLY MORE LATERAL
ADJUSTMENT.  APPROXIMATELY 2/3 OF THEM NEED TO MOVE TO THE RIGHT.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician

THANKS, JON..

Mark Potter