Steinway hammer alignment

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:33:09 -0400

>   A newly aquired "D" I recently wrote of also has
>the hammers set to the left a significant amount.
>
>  I spoke with the person who set it up. He assured me
>this is how they do it in the factory. Also our local
>Arts Center tech. whom manages some serious orchestral
>stuff had a look for me, notice the offset and said
>"thats one way to do it."  News to me.

That's right.  The Steinway Technical Reference Guide sez this about
spacing hammers to strings:

"The hammer is spaced correctly to the trichords when it is
positioned off center, favoring the treble side.  There should be
approximately twice as much of the exposed portion of the hammer on
the treble side than on the bass side.  The space between the left
string of the trichord must be the same on every hammer, to maintain
an accurate left pedal voicing."

There is even a pretty picture of the "correct" method.

--
-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
-School of Music, Ohio University