Pointed bridge pins / Rounded bridge pins ?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:18:32 -0500

>Are there any reasons not to replace with the same type bridge pins versus
>the pointed ones? (I have done a WebGlimpse search of the Pianotech
>Archives for 'pointed bridge pins' and 'rounded bridge pins' specifically.)

Not really. I think I like the longer pointed pins because #1: they are
pointed and easier for me to start in the hole. The round ends used to be
more nearly hemispherical, and weren't much of a problem, but the current
"round" ends aren't remotely round and require more attention at insertion,
with a higher probability of mucking up the bridge. #2: Mechanical support,
though I'm not all that sure this is meaningful, since I've not ascertained
to what depth in the bridge hole pins get loose.

Bottom line: there's no real evidence I know of that the longer pins are
demonstrably better, so suit yourself. For what it's worth, the bass is the
least critical area of the piano for pinning and notching concerns, so you
have a lot of leeway to play with.

>I also notice in the supply catalog that the pointed ones are 1/4" longer,
>so I am assuming for the moment this suggests the existing holes would have
>to be made deeper.  Yes / no?

Yes, unless you plan to do a lot of filing, or leave a long pin snaggle bridge.

Ron N