Running CA

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:02:23 EDT

In a message dated 10/17/01 7:49:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com (Clyde Hollinger) writes:

> One thing I haven't seen mentioned regarding this:
>
> I've seen techs recommend applying CA around the tuning pins until "the
> piano won't take anymore."  I guess that's alright for grands, since the
> stuff will just lay there until it gets hard.
>
> But what about uprights?  I tilt them onto their backs to do this job,
> and I like to return them to normal position before leaving.  But
> sometimes the CA is still liquid, so I dab out the excess to keep it
> from running down the plate when I "upright" the piano.  How does one
> add CA "until the piano takes no more" and avoid this problem?  Dabbing
> is messy and time-consuming, and it's also easy to get the stuff on your
> .

I don't like to talk about this too much because in my view, "pinblock
doping" is a very dubious idea to start with.  But recognizing that there is
a time and place for everything, here is my answer to the question.  After
you are satisfied that all of the CA glue that can soak in has (1/2 hour
would be enough time), use the catalyst called "Zip Kicker".  Simply spritz
the entire pinblock area.  It will cause any CA glue which is still liquid to
solidify within seconds.

It does no harm to mention that such a task should only be done wearing a
respirator, eye protection and with strong cross ventilation.  The CA glue
fumes are a very powerful eye, mucous membrane and lung irritant and from
what I understand the "kicker" is highly toxic.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin