Steinway hammer alignment

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:42:37 EDT

I wrote:

>    I set my shanks up without hammers.

Oleg asks:

>You mean without whippen too (eventually)?

Yes,  I travel the perpendicular to the whippen rail before I install the
whippens. I use a small square to align their swing, and letting the shanks
drop to the rail allows a very close centering over the whippen holes.  It
does pay to eye-ball the whippen rail boring to see if there are any oddball
spaces.  This is mainly a 1960's phenomenom.

>>Did you have success moving one rail only sometime (without bending the

whole frame) ?>>

    I have never tried to move one rail, but the feet often benifit from a
bit of tweaking.
Regards,
Ed Foote