Old Uprights

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:15:31 -0400

At 12:56 PM 10/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Esteemed Colleagues:    If given the choice (and the piano), which of
>these two old instruments would you choose to have as a future rebuilding
>project?  Which do you feel offers the most potential as an instrument to
>keep as your own example of what a fine upright should be, if either one?
>     Jesse French #57,636  1914
>     Kohler and Campbell #109,825  1909
>Clark Sprague, RPT
>Detroit/Windsor Chapter

Neither one  unless the K&C shows potential. Stay as far away from the J.
French as possible. RLH  (run like h...)

However 'rebuilding'  is not an investment and if you want it to display
your skills then any piano of notable character would
be a good choice. I don't recall encountering a K&C of this vintage. It has
been my experience that people looking for uprights
of this vintage are more looking in the scope of something less than $500.

Stieff would head my upright list. M&H, Baldwin, Bush & Lane, Kimball just
to name a few. Most turn of the century (1900) pianos
were built to impress. J. French was low end and like many of today's
'entry-level' pianos does not exhibit the qualities we
attribute to musical instruments.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.