more on this temperament thing

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:27:20 -0400

Ed,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't be safe to say that one of the
underlining reasons Well-Tempered and Mean Tone Tempered tunings were
mandatory in their days, irate beat structures in some of the keys were one
of the only features which demonstrated excitable sound change. By that I
mean, seeing that there was no means of changing volume in early keyboards,
coupled with the mode of composition during those days( lack of modulation)
HTs was one  mean, which in some obscure way, a tuner could illustrate
volume and excitement change.  Otherwise the early keyboards were almost
completely monolithic. The usefulness of HT in those instruments are not
arguable.
 For my tastes,  G minor in a Broadwood's Best Tuning, captures the essence
of darkness as well as anything I have ever heard.   Playing a Chopin
Nocturne in G minor sends goose bumps down my spine.  I'm less inclined to
give credit to the temperament lending itself to beauty,  but applaud more
to the genius of Chopin who had to figure and find a architecture that would
demonstrate his ideas.
But on the whole, I find a lot of the "colors" in the high # keys (E Maj, B
Maj, etc) to negate the overall beauty HTs have to offer. For that reason I
know longer make a practice of tuning HT. I've studied it, I practiced it, I
tried selling it to my clientele, and I tried selling to my PTG chapter. I
did the campaign thing trying to convert clients to HT, but except for a
few, all have requested that their instruments be put back in the
temperament they knew and understood, equal temperament.
 The big problem that I had, as well as my clientele, is trying to convince
myself why F# Major should sound pleasing and not completely distasteful, or
any of the extreme color keys for that matter.
On that note, no pun intended, I find it difficult to make the point that
HTs are inherently better and somehow bring a purer sense of musicality to
the music than ET. With today's instruments with incredible  volume and
tonal capabilities combined with an EXTREMELY WELL TUNED ET,equal
temperament is still  as an extremely refined, flexible, and finely
constructed temperament capable of demonstrating and capturing the FULL
range of music in all keys.
Now for teaching purposes, which is what  your thread is about, there's no
question that exposing earlier temperaments to studying musicians is
applaudable. This brings them one step closer to experience and understand
the  temperaments earlier composers had at  their fingertips.
I still wonder  how Chopin, Mozart, or Beethoven, would be composing if they
were in today's world playing on today's instruments. I personally feel,
they too would favor the flexibility of ET. Of course, that's pure
speculation!
Tom Servinsky,RPT