more on this temperament thing

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:46:53 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 3:08 AM
Subject: Re: more on this temperament thing

> David Ilvedson wrote:
>
> > I still love ET...its cool!
> >
> > David I.
> >

> They are all cool.  Heck thats what its all about. We dont have to like
> them to tune them. I fail really to see the difference between someone
> who wont tune an HT because of personal tastes, and someone who refuses
> to tune ET on the same basis.
>
> I dont see that it is our job to pass subjective personal tastes
> judgements on temperaments. We get paid to tune them, as best as is
> possible. Why should we impose our personal likes or dislikes on anyone
> else ?

Because at some point we transend to the level ofartists making an artistic
statements.  We establish our signature on our work through the ways we
tune. Yes some put their signature on HT, some exclusively on ET, and some,
obviously, on both . That's an individual statement that I both respect and
applaud.
But on the pure artistic level, me speaking, there becomes a point when we
express our feelings and sentiments about music through our work. It is pure
expression and passion. For me tuning has evolved going beyond not merely
being a means of having to prostitute myself all over my region just to make
a buck. It's my way of musically expressing  myself  ( musically) through
the art of tuning.
Tom Servinsky,RPT