(c/o wimblees)

Earl S. Dunlap, Jr. dunlapes@home.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:30:42 -0400

To my hard working technician friends:

I can't resist saying this bit since you've been nice enough to allow me to
lurk on your newsletter.

I realize it is a small percentage of the effect you are describing but it
may be of some interest to you when I point out that, the sheet weight is
the weight for whatever sheet width (anti base to treble or "Anti B->T") by
hammer-set length a particular customer orders from the pianofelt maker.
Thus, the weight of the sheet is not for a sheet of universally accepted
B->T or Anti B->T size but for the size that has been ordered.  I guess the
important thing I'm pointing out is that a XX pound sheet from one source
may not be the same weight as from another.  There are additional density
and thickness profile considerations, but at the least, the B->T and the
anti B->T must be stated since some customers use widely differing anti B->T
dimensions.

Length and width must also be defined.  We have to be careful in
differentiating what are the lengthwise and widthwise directions in our
internal discussions in case our machinery makes the Anti B->T to be in a
machine lengthwise direction.  We have also seen confusion in names
customers use for sheet designations in common conversation and on
drawings--but, yes, we are successful!

'Best to all of you.

EARL DUNLAP

<snip>