Running CA

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:54:47 -0400

At 11:35 AM 10/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/18/2001 10:07:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
>>Yes, and perhaps you will find yourself "praying" that two people other than
>>yourself will be lifting it back up! Especially the old uprights, they can
>>sure get pretty heavy - a good tilter really pays its way here!
>>Terry Farrell
>Terry and list, just a warning here, tilters are advertised suggesting one
>person can safely tilt an upright.  Under most circumstances this is true,
>but in the case of hardwood, tile, cement or any other hard slick floors
>the piano can run off the tilter and shoot the tilter out from under the
>piano at high speed presenting a extremely dangerous situation.  Here in
>our shop we have had two broken legs over the years from this very
>situation.  We do not allow any of our men to tilt an upright by
>themselves.  Please be careful!
>David Koelzer
>DFW

Securing the tilter to the piano will prevent it from sliding away when the
rear casters
come in contact with the floor upon righting. Prior to tilting, strap the
tilter tightly to the beams.

Accompanying each new tilter is a clamp for this purpose (or there used to
be). Generally,
people do not see the need and discarded them or stick them away and forgot
about them.
I still have mine but prefer to strap if there is a danger of the casters
rolling.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.