more on this temperament thing

david severance severanc@mail.wsu.edu
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:31:58 -0700 (PDT)

  Once you get into music without a tonal center,
>i.e. some impressionist music, jazz, etc., then ET is better as you don't
>want key differences to be enhanced.
>
>David Love

David

I think you are confusing your musical terminology.  Most, if not all,
Impressionistic and Jazz are tonal in nature.  That is to say they have a
key center.  This doesn't mean that there are not transitory modulations to
other keys within the piece.  If anything Jazz is the form that is all about
tonality.  A jazzer never meant a ii V7 I progression he didn't like, in
fact we add them in where ever we can.  In western music you find the atonal
music in the works of the serious composer's of the 20th Century such as
Scheonberg, Aban Berg, Bartok and later Stravinsky and others.  Interesting
music.

David Severance