"100% on" unisons--was more on this temperament thing

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:47:10 +0200

"John M. Formsma" wrote:

> <<...that is the piano actually sounding better when all the
> unisons are not quite 100% on.>>
>
> We had some discussion of this some time ago on the list. It does add to the
> presence (and color) of the piano if the unisons "bloom" as opposed to being
> still and lifeless.

I think really that it is not a question of unisons being still and lifeless...
there is always some of this "bloom" effect... the question is more how much is
best... and again when we are talking about such slight tolerances then this is
more a matter of taste then a matter of right and wrong.  The dead on ablolutely
no beats, no bloom, no nothing unison doesnt really exist.

> The experiment could go something like this, using the same piano or
> different ones: 1) Have a totally beatless, dead-on unison. Compare that
> with unisons that have very, very slight "bloom" and larger "bloom," and
> even 1/2 bps unisons.

I think 0.5 bps is way out of the "bloom" range... at least as I experience it.
We are talking somewhere in the area where all talk of bps is no longer
meaningfull, we are talking about a seperate acoustical property me thinks.

> Then you could apply that same theory to octaves. PlayThen you could
> experiment with octave widths.

Now that you can... and it does become interesting what you can do when you
start to get past thinking coincident partials and bps... I personally am more
and more convinced this is at the heart of Virgils thinking.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.