more on this temperament thing

David J. Severance severanc@mail.wsu.edu
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

David

Bill Evan's 12 tone tune is the only atonal jazz composition I can think
of if there are more please let me know.  Again I think you are confusing
modulation with tonality which has a very specific meaning.  Atonality is
a compositional technique that was developed by Arnold Schoenberg and is
the systematic avoidance of permitting any single pitch to sound as a
tonal center.  There were a variety of ways that these composers
accomplished this that I won't go into here.  But the point I'm trying to
make is that tonality is achieved at the compositional level not the
performance level.  The  altered extensions a jazz pianist uses has
nothing
at all to do with whether or not the piece is tonal or atonal.  If instead
what you are saying is that jazz musicians prefer to achieve color with
their choice of chord extentions rather than unequal temperaments I agree
with you and ,in fact, have stated that in this forum. I have to take
issue with your first sentence, however. Jazzers improvise the melody,
the
rhythm the chord voicings but the one thing they don't improvise are the
changes! You can certainly do that up front, have it on the lead sheet but
that falls under the heading of composition or arranging not
improvisation.

David Severance