more on this temperament thing..it's getting far away..

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:22:20 -0400

David Severance said:

> Jazzers improvise the melody,
> the
> rhythm the chord voicings but the one thing they don't improvise are the
> changes!

Before I comment on this quote, I must say that I am in agreement with
everything else you said from this post.

Now..as for this quote..I will gracefully agree to disagree with you..just
because the changes get played does not mean they aren't improvised. I've
improvised many a change in my playing days, and so have bass players that I
leaned on heavily..it's sheer magic when those improvs are happening
simultaniously..it's learning how to listen to the music and trusting the
people you're sharing the moments with..that takes more talent than knowing
what a Demolished 4th is or when to flat a 9th or a 5th.

A retired Piano player happy being the artist behind the artist,
Phil