SV: more on this temperament thing

David J. Severance severanc@mail.wsu.edu
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:29:29 -0700 (PDT)

I disagree, there was never alot of atonal jazz.  A few avant garde
musicians such as Ornette Coleman experimented with atonality but the vast
majority of jazz,classical and western music as a whole then as well as
now is tonal.
These same musicians also dispensed with chordal harmony in their
improvisations and improvised harmonies but again its way outside the
mainstream of jazz and not commonly done. But don't take my word for it
ask some of your jazz musician friends how many atonal pieces they play at
the club on Saturday night.

David