Keyboard frame question

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:53:22 +0200

Dear listers,

I submit this to your lights :

Can you tell me in what order you screw the frame on S&S,
is the order important ?

with the last job I've done I had to change the entire action frame ,I had
to rethink the way the frame is adapted to the keyboard, and I discover I am
not sure if the extremes center feet (of the action frame) are to be a tad
higher in order to help the keyboard extremity to be springy (you know the
little play under the blocks).

I had one side of my keyboard not showing enough play after installing the
new action frame. Is it the keyboard front rail which is not right, so I
could sand it to have some pressure given with the block, or are the wedges
or action frame feet at a bad level ? (the back of the action is nicely in
contact everywhere )

Beside, I am looking for a good method to evaluate if the back of the keys
are at the correct height, I've made the mistake on my D and had to put a
lot of paper balance punching to obtain the 65 -67 mm dimension in the front
under the ivories , and then I discover the back of the keyboard was too
low,   dampers late, backcheck angle to be re-set, shanks almost on the
cushions when 47 mm hammer travel,...

I may have realized sooner that I was to shim under the rest felt on the key
frame.

Can the space between the  shank rest felt be a good evaluation method of
the correct height of the back of the key ( at first does not look to be so
much related, but I am under this impression) ?

I know we can check the whippen heel balance pin whippen pin alignment, but
even with an elastic thread I found it very difficult to do (not really the
same thing either).

Any input will be appreciated.

Kind regards.

Isaac