Speaking of hammers...

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 08:57:54 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/2001 10:48:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> As a start perhaps the manufacturer could weigh just those hammers he
> intends to be #1, #30, #60 and #88 and correlate those into Stanwood's
> curves. If the manufacturing tolerances are reasonable random samples might
> well be sufficient. At this point, I'd be really happy with just that.
> Though we'd still be some distance from ideal at least it would be one
> small step in the right direction.

Would these be pretapered, coved, what about the tail?  I am afraid there are
too many variables to do anything here however great the need.  While those
here in this discussion may be willing to pay a little extra for their
hammers if this information were made available, I fear the demand would not
be large enough for the manufactures to bother with.

Speaking of knowing your hammer maker, I just installed my first set of
Isaac's hammers. WOW!  That is the sound I have been looking for all along.
I had gotten sick and tired of trying to soften these steel reinforced wire
smackers and was on the prowl for a hammer still made of felt, you know the
stuff made from wool.  Talk about a smooth weight curve!  The tone was warm,
yet when with plenty of punch in forte playing.  Right out the box only a
little voicing was needed to give a nice smooth tone from bottom to top.  Did
I say I liked them?

Andrew Remillard

ANRPiano Service
2417 Maple Ave