Square Grand/HT Temperaments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:31:39 EDT

Greetings,
<<On modern grands, fourths tuned to a 1/4  comma sound bad!

Umm, well, yes, depending on what is being played.
    A piano tuned in 1/4 C offered unacceptable amounts of dissonance to my
clientele, though some jazzers found the comma useful as a motif in some
impromtu extemporizing. Even though the busy fifths are noticeable, it was
those 41 cent dim4ths that set everyone free!  I am assured that the 13th and
14 century music depended on some terrifically tempered intervals(by our
modern standards), and their contrast witht the Just purity of others.
  Perhaps ET represents the end of the line for intonation's evolution.  Many
of the cutting-edge composers I have been reading of are involved in ET, but
of the 19ET and 53ET, plus the NbasedETs.  Equality in such fine divisions of
the octave allows intervals that can mimic all the widths available in the
WT's , however, keyboard instruments are not easily built to such specs, and
it is the synthesizers that are capable of this sort of intonation.
   The modern piano may not gracefully admit the meantone tunings, but there
has been a huge response to non-ET tunings that create much less contrast.
>From the noviate's perspective, there is more difference between ET and the
late 19th century "Broadwood"  than between that Broadwood tuning and any of
the other WT's.
   Even a little departure from strict, clinical, mathematically exact ET
produces strong reactions from musicians. I think there is rarely a need to
go all the way to 1/4 Comma.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT