hot hide glue

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:33:30 -0500

>    I'm trying a different type of hot hide glue (the "pearls", or beads,
>rather than the flake type), but the label to the jar came off and got lost,
>so I have no directions.  Do you weigh equal amounts of water and glue, or
>what is the proportion?   It supposedly doesn't have to soak as long as the
>flake glue before melting.  TIA for any info.    --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver

Hi Dave,
This is just about as far from rocket science as you can get. Dump however
much glue you want in your pot, and pour in enough water to cover it. After
it's melted down, if it's too thick, add water. Weighing out precise
proportions is like nailing Jell-o (which is just civilized hide glue) to a
tree. It moves on you, and it's not what you're after in the first place.
The gram strength of the glue will have as much effect on the mix thickness
as the proportion of water to glue. Whatever you measure won't be right an
hour later anyway, even if you got lucky enough that it was right in the
first place, so just relax and wing it like everyone else.
Piece of cake.
Ron N