Aaron and Meantone

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:37:50 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Ola Andersson <pianola@online.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 2:26 AM
Subject: SV: SV: more on this temperament thing

<<<<
By the way did Aaron really tune what we call a MT temprement. I think he
describes something between WT and MT

I believe that Aaron did describe Meantone.  His instructions have been
translated and following them you can get a very good quarter comma
meantone.
     This is the meantone of pure 3rds gotten by narrowing the first four
5ths of the circle until the 3rd is pure.  You go up another four 5ths ( to
G#) and then down from the starting note four 5ths to (Eb).   You end up
with the 3rds pure, the dim 4ths as wolves, and (Eb--G#)  the traditional
wolf.  This is descriptive,  the actual method of Aaron is different but
results in this.
    I am preparing an article for submission based on Aaron's method.
However since I used so much quotation I am going to seek permission from
the publisher.
In the meantime if any of you want to preview it and offer suggestions or
critique, or try out the method please drop me an email.   The actual
method is condensed to one page.  I can send it in WordPad, MS Works, MS
Word 97, and Word Perfect 6.
    Also a footnote became a paragraph which became a page and then two or
three pages.    I am thinking of either greatly expanding the original
article or offering an introductory article on Meantone in general.

---ric