hot hide glue

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 05:55:52 -0600

Ron, Newton:
    Thanks for the replies on the hide glue.  That's what I thought, and
what I've usually done, but an info. sheet that came with some glue I bought
once from APSCO said to weigh the water and the glue, but it didn't say in
what proportion.  Then it said ground glue needs to soak 1 to 2 hrs., but
flake glue requires 2 to 8 hrs. or even overnight.  And to always pour the
dry glue into the water, not vice versa (it implied).  This glue I recently
bought from a woodworking shop looks more like beads than  "ground" or
"flake", so I thought there might be some difference in how it's prepared,
but I guess I won't worry about it.    --Dave Nereson, RPT