"Dsus4" chord

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:13:41 -0600

<<Your use of the term "Dsus4" is also confusing to me. My understanding is
that a suspension ( I presume that is what your 'sus' means) is a non
harmonic tone suspended from something previous, that resolves downward to a
harmonic tone of a chord. >>

    Usually, a "sus" chord means the 4th is added to the Major triad, and
the third left out.  The '4' is unnecessary because most musicians know
"sus" means "add the 4th".  So, a Dsus would be D-G-A, a Csus would be
C-F-G, etc.  It's called a "suspended" chord (actually a suspended tone)
because the fourth kind of hangs there in the air, not part of the chord but
not foreign to its scale, either.  Is Jim Harvey still out there somewhere?
I thought he said once that he used that chord to check the smoothness of
his temperament.  (That's what we're supposed to listen for, I think, rather
than any specific beats).  --David Nereson, RPT

Ron et al.:  Thanks for the replies on the hide glue.