tempering, was pins and needles

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:31:54 -0700

Yep, tempering metal involves heating it to a very high temp, for a defined
amount of time, depending on the alloy, and then quenching it, either in oil
or water.
    When you heat a metal to a high temp, and allow it to air cool, you are
"annealing" it.

    Now, the question is; does "draw the temper" mean to "draw off the
temper"?

    My understanding of it is; tempered metals are harder, and more rigid,
but because of these properties, they are also more brittle.