more on this temperament thing

Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:29:17 EDT

HT's done by machine cannot produce a beautiful tuning anymore than a
temperament only using a machine can produce a beautiful ET. There will
always, due to inharmonicity, be a few fifths, fourths, or incorrect thirds
if you take the machine readings  exactly off a chart in HT tunings, just as
there are in ET's. Following beat rate guides gets a more musical result.
Starting from the machine readings, then tweaking is most helpful, but I have
heard HT's proudly done which leave mistakes in beat rates, especially in the
octave and a half above middle C. We all must remember that HT's are not
technical tunings. They are aesthetic tunings, requiring a sensitivity to the
musical balance intended by the historical harmonies. The way the tuning
progresses through key changes is the essense of the tuning, not the
adherance to a formula. The greatest danger in a HT are fourths in the
mid-upper range which beat faster than the formula suggests, thereby throwing
off the effect. A fourth which beats 1 BPS too fast is much more of a problem
than a third which beats 2 BPS too fast in an isolated interval.
I truly believe that one must tune and listen to HT's a great deal to
appreciate them, as well as to play through real music in them. Only then
will a tuner realize how to make the small deviations from cents formulas to
make them truly special.

                                                                   Michael
Meade, RPT