Tilter scooters

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:57:22 -0500

Part of the reason a piano "scoots" from the tilter is the "noses" or
"brackets" or whatever they are called aren't long enough in addition to
being too close to the floor.   The problem is the piano tilts before the
tilter lifts up on it.   It these "flanges" were adjustible in height then
you could cinch them up to the bottom of the piano the tilter would
immediately start tilting the piano.
Since this isn't the case you could place two 2 X 4's under each end of the
piano to raise the castors off the floor. The piano can't "scoot" if its
wheels have nothing to scoot on.   Since the bottom of the piano is a
little higher you might consider placing a quarter inch to half inch
plywood under the tilter itself.   This is the same as cinching up the
lifting brackets.  OR you could rip a "1 X 3"  to "1 X 1" and lay this
across the brackets and then push the tilter under the piano.

----- Original Message -----
From: Dick Beaton <rbeaton@initco.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: Tilter scooters

Hi all.....

YES I did have one scoot out on me.  It slid down the  rails of the tilter
I had just installed a new set of casters on the old upright.  I figured
out that what happened was the new casters hit the floor and started
rolling forward....you can picture the rest.

The real solution is to prevent the casters from turning  when they touch
the floor...so the piano can't scoot out. A piece of carpet on the floor
where the casters touch down will do the job, but for real insurance I just
used a rubber mute inserted  above the caster wheel to prevent the caster
wheel from turning. I never had another problem.  Simple and easy as well
as SAFE.  Give it a try.
Dick RPT MT