rubber strip mutes--was improved time for tuning

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:54:43 -0500

Tom S.,

<<...you should try a rubber temperament strip from Schaff.   Because it is
rubber, it
compresses to fit any opening without displacing the string.  It will mute
strings that are closely spaced equally as well as those spaced farther
apart.  I've had it for two years and it hasn't shown any signs of wear
yet.>>

Was this the tan or the black strip? (I've tried both, with unsatisfactory
results.) How well does yours mute? On the ones I received, plucking the
muted string showed that it did not mute well at all. Also, the strip was
too thick to easily fit between strings on most pianos. Felt strips did a
much better job than what was sent to me.

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
PTG Associate, Memphis Chapter

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com