second post Re: Voicing M&H BB

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:09:53 EDT

Terry

I just remembered I serviced a BB at a church in St. Louis. The piano was
used a lot for recitals, and the word on the street was that this was a very
difficult piano to tune. I was asked by the new choir director for advice on
what to do. First of all, it sounded dead. As a result, piano players were
beating the day light out of it to get some volume. This, of course, caused
many string to break, and the tuning wouldn't hold.

On the advice of Paul Manichino, I replaced the hammers with Renners. Paul
admitted that the green monsters were horrible and should never have been put
on these pianos. The second recommendation he made for tuning stability was
to check the pin block to flange fit. Sure enough, there was a gap big enough
to slide a business card very easily all the way from the bass to the treble.
I solved that problem by lowering the tension, and inserting maple shims
between the block and the flanges. After several tunings the piano was
stable, and with the new hammers, it sang.

Wim