more on this temperament thing

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 02:21:19 -0500

| Have you listened to anything written in your lifetime lately?

Yes Yanni...and that other guy. ;  ) I mean : (   Right now I need a quote
from Mozart's time about mediocre or worse music.  Another time perhaps.

    Actually this morning I thought something was contemporary.   Turned
out to be Dvorak.  Did Villa-Lobos write anything after 1947?  A lot of
great music has been written since then but I am inquiring about piano
music.  Modern jazz features the piano but this is not formal composition.
Some technique and harmonies have come out I think would interest the
Masters.
    Song writing is alive as ever but it is music written for the song
rather than the instrument even though it is published in sheet music for
the piano.
    My tuning teacher composed but he never sought to publish.  It is on
music rolls for band organs but he composed and arranged these at the
piano.  I haven't heard these lately though.
    A client who comes to South Dakota twice a year composes and has had
his trio performed  here last year.   This was last year.  He has not
"published" but has recorded and distributes CD privately.
    On the radio on request day there are contempory pieces asked for.  But
I haven't heard anything I would like to request.

<| I know some composers who would be deeply offended by that remark. I
think |there is some wonderful | stuff being written now that will be
considered on a par |with Chopin  et al in years to come.  >

OK, who are they?  Would they be played on classical music stations?  We
have a great request program on Public Radio here.  On MP3 yet?  I am
always more than willing to listen.  I heard someone playing at the
Convention.  He is someone I look forward to hearing more.
    I am always listening for what I think will "considered on a par with
Chopin
et al in years to come"  Advanced composition is a very intellectual and
learned endeavor.  One might think with all of the people on the college
level and advanced degree programs, noteworthy compositions are being
created that will stand or advance  their place in time.  On the other hand
we don't hear of music departments in universities of Chopin's time.
Certainly none of the Masters went to college.  When did the conservatories
start?    ---ric