back check removal

robert goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:12:55 -0500

I recommend a theme variation of some methods already mentioned.
It has worked extremly well for me.
1.  Make a thin block of hard wood, (oak or maple works well),
and cut a slot half way through just wide enough to slip over the
wire.
2.  Place the key in a woodworking bench mounted vise and tighten
down snugly.  Note: be certain not to squeeze a bent key into the
vise or you will break the key!  Tighten the end of the key in
the vise only.
3.  With the block slipped over the wire and flat on the top of
the key, use a pair if side cutters to grip the wire and pull it
out one short stroke at a time like a claw hammer on a nail.
Combining the notched block with the short pulling strokes you
can eliminate most splintering.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV