Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 23:07:23 -0500

Are the front duplexes tunable?  Either way how do you determine that the
duplex segments are in tune or out of tune?  Are they octaves double
octaves, octaves + ?   So when "buzzing" because of front duplexes being in
tune, wouldn't this have been noticed in the factory?  ---ric

----- Original Message -----
From: DALE ERWIN <erwinpiano@msn.com>
To: pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes

Hi Dan

 Are  you referring to the front or rear duplexes? I know you've studied
this a fair bit but I think after hearing Ron o. ,Ron, N. , Del, John
Hartman and others I believe there is enough evidence that the front duplex
being tuned is a detriment to sustain. The sympathetically vibrating string
segment at the front duplex is largely responsible for drawing energy from
the vibrating segment ,reducing sustain/power  and creating more buzzing
than pianists can tolerate. This segment would benefit greatly fom being
detuned.   I've noticed than in Mason BB's from different era's the front
duplex went from being in a tuned configuration to on of equal length
string lengths in the front duplex. In the latter the tone is cleaner with
no buzzing and excellent sustain characteristics.
Regards----Dale Erwin