Duplex

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:53:13 -0800

Much Grass (mucho gratius)  Thank you so much for the response.  As most
answers do, they generate more questions.  Dr. Laura when asked "Why do Jews
always answer a question by asking another one?  answered  "Who said that?"

So, okay,  I think I can get the front duplex down to 20 mm.  I like your
approach.  Yes, drill presses aren't designed for side pressure.  I long ago
worried about the possibility of the chuck coming off and flying across the
room so I drilled a small hole  and put a screw in to prevent that .  I
don't know if it would help or not.  It hasn't made its maiden flight yet.

What bothered me about the rear duplex is that there is an abrupt change in
tail length that will change the down bearing at that point.  The plate
seems to be about 7/16 thick at all the treble.  I would think that would be
okay.  I assume you mean by vertical hitch pins you mean ala Baldwin.  Since
I will be refinishing the plate I thought I'd plug the holes and drill new
holes for the roll pins.  That allows me to increase the rear tail length.
What size do you use and would you use stainless to prevent rust?  I think
they are available in cad plate as well, but since we slide the wires up and
down that may be scoured off.  This particular piano has one tied wire and
one loop for each note from note 27 to 53.  It appears that the strings
would be aprox as much as 1/4 inch above the plate when the downbearing is
correct.

At present the tail length of note 27 (first above the bass break) is only
about 35 mm.  I can easily increase this to 120mm if I drill new hitch pin
holes.

I've measured the scale but haven't yet entered it into PSCALE so I will
probably be using wound strings on the first few notes of the treble.  Using
new drilled holes will facilitate that.

There has been discussion about hardened capo bars.  I assume there is no
easy way to harden an existing cast iron bar.

Thanks Ron.  Your generosity is exceeded only by your good looks.

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@home.com