Insuring an action

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:48:05 EST

In a message dated 10/29/01 6:09:07 AM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I know none of us are lawyers here (yes?), so perhaps there will be no
> definitive answer here. But it seems to me to be pretty far fetched for a
> piano owner to "force you to buy a whole new piano" in a case like this. I
> could certainly imagine an extreme situation where they claim that a tech
> ruined their action - the part they worked on. But if the tech did nothing
> to the case and belly, etc., but remove the action from it, how in the
> world could anyone make a claim for a whole new piano stick?
>
> I shudder to think............you don't have any direct experience with a
> case like this.............do you?
>
> Terry Farrell

I don't have any personal experience, Terry, but you hear horror stories.

You bring a Starck grand action in your shop, a piano in good condition other
than the action needs to be overhauled. (This is an art case, that has been
in the family for 75 years.) For some reason the action is destroyed. You
can't put in a new action, or even find a reconditioned one.  The customer
has the right to ask for another piano, even a new one, of similar design,
quality, etc. You should have insruance to pay for that piano. The customer's
insurance company is not going to cover that. The insurance company might
give the money to the customer to get another piano, but the insurance
company will come after you to get their money back.

However, the possibility of an actual loss is very slim. So I carry the
insurance to cover me "just in case." But that is not the only reason I have
insurance on the pianos in my shop. I have liability insurance not for the
damages that MIGHT occur. I have insurance to pay the lawyer to defend me in
case a customer decides to sue me for something I didn't do. You know how it
is in the country. You're guilty until you can prove yourself innocent. It
will cost you a lot of money to defend yourself. But if the insurance company
has to pay, they will defend their interest, or at most, pay the settlement.

Wim