Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:01:25 -0600

>You do realize, Ron, that you're getting me deeper in this project than I
>intended to go. I was very enthusiastic about your suggestions and I like
>them, but now I find that if I raise the plate about 1/8 inch to keep the
>wire close to the bottom, I won't have any down bearing in the bass.  Sure I
>could recap the bass bridge to bring it up about a quarter inch, or grind a
>quarter inch off the plate. (plenty of cast iron there).
>
>So, I think I will just do the best I can with what I've got to work with.
>Can't make a career out of every piano I work on.

As do we all, Carl. The first rule of hang gliding is to never fly higher
than you're willing to fall. There are plenty of places I won't go too, so
I certainly understand. Did I forget to mention that this stuff isn't a
take it out of the box and stick it in the piano in passing sort of thing?
It does take time and work.

>There are improvements I can make with these front and rear duplexes without
>getting too carried away with extra work.

There sure are, and I'd still recommend getting those low tenor back scale
lengths longer if you can.

>BTW, would you care to comment on the use of stringing braid.  Does it serve
>as a detuner of sorts?  What would be the effect of gluing felt over the
>half round brass counter bar?
>On front and or rear?
>
>Thanks, again!Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG

I use string braid like I would a topical analgesic - as irritant balm. I
leave it out until the piano is strung and up to pitch and braid what I
don't like the sound of. Yes, that means I often braid the tenor through
the bass strings because some pianos make wonderfully horrible noises with
open low tenor back scales. I don't understand why you would want felt on
the counter bearing bar. That's done when the rear bearing bar is rough
cast into the plate, but the brass half round provides a decent enough
termination to not need muffled. In the front, I haven't needed felt at all
with the shortened duplexes. Some folks have reported noises coming from
the segment between the tuning pin and counter bearing, but I haven't had a
problem with it - yet. If I do, I'll muffle it with felt, but not until it
proves to need it.

Ron N